10 Tips To Fit Exercise Into Your Busy Schedule
I received this email last week...
I love your emails but after reading this last post of yours I have to ask, where do you find the time to exercise EVERY day! As a single mom of two, I try and fail and end up running/working out only twice a week. Do you have any tips?
After reading this I thought is a great topic to address so here you go!
We are all busy these days. Whether you are a parent and work full time, a single and childless adult focused on your career or a college or graduate student, it can be hard to find the time to fit exercise into your schedule.
I have always managed to make time for my workouts because they are so important to my physical and mental health. Without my health nothing works, so I use some of the following tips to just make it work.
Here are my 10 tips!
1. Workout during your lunch break. Ask your employer if you can come into work early or stay late and take the extra time to do your workout at lunch. This may involve finding a gym nearby or keeping it simple and taking a walk.
2. Get up 30 minutes early. Do a 30 minute workout before you start your day. You can create your own workout or find something online. Even if you have young kids and can’t leave the house this is something you can do at home. Getting up early is not always easy, but the more you do it the easier it gets and it will kick start your body for the rest of the day!
3. Involve your kids in your workout. Can your kids ride a bike while you run or walk? Do you have a runner stroller or double bike or a bike trailer? Get creative and include your little one in your workout.
4. Ask for help. Ask a friend or family member to watch your kids a few days a week after work so you can exercise. They will likely enjoy the time with your kiddos too! When the weather is nice you can also schedule play dates at the park and take turns watching the kids while the other goes for a walk or run.
5. Run, walk or bike to work. If you have access to a shower at work consider using your transportation time as the workout. You can save money on gas at the same time!
6. Walk throughout the day. Take 15 minute breaks during the day and find a 1-mile loop you can do during those breaks. Do this 3 times during the day and you will accomplish a solid 3-mile walk. That’s a great workout!
7. Do exercises or stretches at your desk. Lunges, push-ups, downward dog and planks can all be done in your office. Do small increments throughout the day so you don’t get too sweaty.
8. Alternate workouts with your significant other. You may have to workout separately while your Sig other watches the kiddos. This is a great way for both of you to get your workout in!
9. Jump rope! You can do this at home anytime. Put on some fun music and get jumping! 30 minutes of jump roping is a great workout!
10. Have a dance party. If you really break it down dancing is a great exercise and who doesn’t like to dance? If at the end of the day you haven’t fit your workout in grab your kids or friends and get shakin’.
Fitting a workout into your busy day might require getting creative, but it is definitely possible. We hope these tips make it easier for you to live a healthier life and to include your friends and family.
*If you are not sure how to do some of the recommended types of exercise in this blog please consult a professional.